Hi there! Welcome to the Millie Holloman Photography blog. Our company has just one name, but we’re an entire team of crazy, creative, passionate, professional photographers. We’re based all over North Carolina (Wilmington, Raleigh, & Charlotte), but we work all over the world. What do we shoot? In one word: Love. Wedding Love. Baby Love. Family Love. Love of details. Love of design. Love of nature. And this blog? Well, it showcases the images, the people, and the stuff we want to share, both professionally and personally. So what are you waiting for? Come on in and look around.
We want you to get the most out of your time here, so here are a few helpful tips: Check out the text block above that says: “photographers”. Use it to get to know just one photographer better by sorting just their images, twitter updates or bio. Wondering who shot what? Look for the signature on the bottom left of each photograph. Looking for something specific? Type the topic or a keyword into the search bar above for related results.
Wanna send us some love? There is no better way than leaving comments! We can't wait to hear from you so scroll down and see what's new…
If you want to see what our incredible clients are saying about us click here
. Wanna see what amazing specials and contests we are running? click here
|I am a big believer in thinking positive and setting goals. I feel like setting goals helps you to know where you are headed and make sure you are pointed in the right direction. Have you ever heard the saying, "if you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time"? Well, there is a lot of truth in that old quote. Below you will find some of the things I want to accomplish throughout my lifetime. Some big, some small, some short term, some long term, but all important to me. I'll keep this section of the blog updated so that you can rejoice with me when I accomplish them! I am also always thinking of new things I want to do and I love to add to my list so visit often... anything you see in our signature blue color is complete!
If you have a life long goal or something amazing that you have already accomplished, I want to hear about it so leave it in the comments below! Who knows maybe it will inspire me to set another goal of my own!
1. Get published for my wedding photography somewhere big (like Grace Ormond, In Style Weddings, or Martha Stewart)
2. Get published for my birth photography - DONE - 11/2006
3. Photograph the birth of my nephew - DONE 6/15/07
4. Buy a Lexus Sports Car
5. Win an entire game of poker (does not matter if it's real money)
6. Take a vacation (without my phone or computer)
7. Speak at a photography conference - DONE 5/9/07
8. Get married
9. Have a family
10. Buy a house - DONE - I closed on 7/09/09
11. Travel to France/Italy
12. Travel to Australia
13. Travel to Switzerland
14. Document the life of a child battling cancer
15. Lose 75 lbs. - working on this!
16. Throw a huge party for all of my girlfriends to celebrate our friendship
17. Read a book all the way through in one day
18. Learn video and how to edit it just for the fun of it
19. Manage my time more effectively - get organized - DONE 11/07
20. Shoot a celebrity wedding
21. Teach a workshop to other proffessionals - DONE - 02/2008
22. Buy a couch for my studio - DONE 4/06
23. Understand the stock market and begin investing - DONE 10/07
24. Start another business in addition to MHP - in the works!
25. Make a photo album on the progression of my business - in the works!
26. Publish a children's book that I have written
27. Book a destination wedding in another country - DONE 7/07
28. Vistit sliding rock waterfall in NC and ride it
29. Start a fine art photo collection of my travels
30. Go parasaling
31. Get my workflow down to three hours on one wedding
32. Have photos of myself professionaly taken - my own shoot
33. Take photos of my parents (their own session)
34. Work out 5 days a week for an entire month
35. Keep normal office hours for one month - 9-4 (not work until midnight)
36. Surprise an out of town friend by showing up one day unnanounced
37. Offer pre-design for wedding albums everytime I shoot a wedding - DONE 5/08
38. Have my teeth whitened - DONE 11/08
39. Get a custom blog built just the way I want it - DONE 8/24/07
40. Hire an office manager- DONE 11/06
41. Change my business name - DONE 11/06
42. Bring on associate photographers - DONE 9/06
43. Master flare - DONE 02/16/08 (I don't know if you ever really MASTER it, but I just learned what I wanted to learn and I am stoked!
44. Take a picture of me doing something every day for one year so that I can have a diary of a year of my life to remember all the fun things I did.
45. Ride a Hot Air Balloon
46. Go snow tubing
47. Win an award for one of my photographs (this means I have to enter one somewhere)
48. Create new pricing guide for my wedding information - DONE 02/2009
49. Start proofing portrait sessions in the studio - do I really still want to do this?
50. Hire a publicist
51. Clear every email in my inbox and keep it cleaned out for one week - DONE 9/15/07
52. Go for a long walk on the beach just because I can- DONE 9/15/07
53. Write a systems guide for my business - in the works, almost done, had one done now we are re-writing it!
54. Build up enough frequent flier miles to be a member of some elite club
55. Complete everything on my top 15 business goals list hanging by my desk- Done 5/08
56. Spend a whole day pampering myself, pedicure, facial, massage - DONE 11/08
57. Stop drinking sodas for 6 months - (so far I haven't been able to make it past a week)
58. Print my brother's wedding albums for them - Done 10/08
59. Shoot a wedding in Savannah, GA.
60. Learn how to cook like my mother - I'm getting there, slowly but surely
61. Get new Health Insurance - DONE 8/1/07
62. Visit all 50 states (all visited states marked in red below)
63. Stop biting my nails - DONE 11/2007
64. Book a trip to Tahiti for me and my best friend or somewhere we can stay in water villas and drink lemonade all day if we choose.
65. Go to a live Hockey Game
66. Replace all of the bulbs in the office with energy efficient light bulbs - DONE 11/07
67. Get 100,000 unique hits on my blog - DONE 01/31/08
68. Make my first real money stock purchase
69. Exercise daily or at least 5 days a week
70. Go to bed earlier and get up earlier for one month straight to make it a habit - DONE 03/09
71. Read one business or organization book each month for a year
72. Stick to the office hours I set for a whole year
73. Start doing one on one photo workshops - DONE 2/08
74. Hire a family/baby/senior company photographer - DONE 01/08
75. Hire a full time image editor - DONE 04/09
76. Book 5 more destination weddings - 2 down, 3 to go! (by destination I mean out of the country)
77. Create more videos to place online - DONE 7/08
78. Journal at least 5 days a week for a year
79. Create a book for Gavin's first year
80. Fly first class - DONE 6/08
81. Get Sponsored by Canon
82, Speak at WPPI
83. Build a website for Photographers and provide resources and information that has helped me in my business
84. Shoot a wedding in Maine
85. Add advertising to the blog - DONE 11/08
86. Spend one Saturday test driving cars just because I can! I LOVE driving new cars!
87. Launch some amazing products and kits (we have been working really hard on these, 3 for sure, maybe 4 exciting things coming!)
88. Keep normal office hours (which basically means no working before 8am or after 6pm)
89. Finishing redoing my bedroom- DONE 12/08 (check it out!)
90. Print letterhead and envelopes for MHP
91. List all of those darn things in that box in the attic on eBay or Craigs List
92. Join toast masters international
93. Create a product guide with photos to go online for our clients - in progress!
94. Have a group one-2-one workshop - DONE 3/09
95. Have a class for hobbyist photographers - almost there!
96. Participate in three bridal shows (Raleigh, Wilmington, Charlotte) all in January. (I know I am crazy!) - DONE 1/09
97. Faster turn around times for weddings - DONE 4/09
98. Evaluate myself and each of my staff yearly and have them evaluate me
99. Attend a leadership conference
100. Set up an INCREDIBLE training system for every job and to train new staff/interns (I have some SWEET ideas for this)
101. Use ShootQ more effectively to track more and keep staff tasks tidy
102. Spend more time weekly being inspired creatively
103. Go on a missions trip with my church to document it photographically
104. Organize my music collection and find NEW music (suggestions anyone?)
105. Actually do a MONTHLY email newsletter - DONE 5/09 (Mad Mimi made this one easy"
106. Have a better grasp of my business financials - DONE 11/2009/b>
107. Join a women's small group at my church (it has to be JUST the right group of women too!)- DONE 2/09
108. Take more photos of my nephew (he is growing up so fast)
109. Experiment with and learn more about studio lighting - DONE 10/09-12/09
110. Use my flash more to create dramatic lighting in full sunlight - still working on this one, I just need to use it more
111. Complete some of the blog updates that were left unfinished by me
112. Launch family/kids site for all MHP photographers
113. Learn to edit video from my 5D Mark II so we can make fun blog video posts for all of you!
114. Redo the splash page on our website
115. Have team photos made
On a more personal level, In 2009 I want to BE a person who...
...follows my heart more both in life and as a photographer creatively
...is more avaliable to my staff
...lives life more simply with less clutter
...strives to grow in leadership
...is genuinely interested in others
...invests money wisely (which goes hand in hand with my above goal)
...fears less (my friend Davina always says that stress is caused by fear which means I must fear more than I realize)
...walks with God
This year I also made a TO BE list (see above) and NOT TO DO list (which will not be posted for public viewing, it is a bit more personal and harder to explain). I know it seems a little awkward but there are some things in life that I just don't enjoy and I'd like to find a way to not have to do them so my TO DO list won't grow. I want to keep this list in front of me so that I can actually find a solution for these things! I want to live life more free from stress and follow my heart, to live more creatively with less clutter, free from financial burden and to be able to live life as it should be lived without boundaries or fear and full of health, happiness and relationship!
What are some of your goals for 2009 and how do you plan to be sure you accomplish them? Dare to inspire me or someone else reading... shout out!
Want us to spread the love about your business? Click here for details.
archive by month
|posts: 1,298, comments: 8,476
|visits: 537,197, page views: 1,509,202
Who do we love best? (Besides you, of course...) These companies who make and do things that rock our world!